If you have Dutch nationality or the nationality of another country in the European Economic Area (EEA) (EU countries plus Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein), and you live abroad, you can request a DigiD free of charge at digid.nl. Activate your DigiD through the council - arrange an appointment beforehand.
Request a DigiD at www.digid.nl before arranging an appointment
What you need to do
- Go to www.digid.nl and choose Aanvragen (Request).
- Remember your username and password.
- Once you have made the request, you will receive a service desk code by email or text message.
- Activate the service desk code within 30 days. Do this in person at the service desk in Breda's city hall; arrange an appointment beforehand.
- After the appointment, you will be able to activate your DigiD at www.digid.nl using:
- the activation code that you receive at the service desk
- your username
- your password
What you need to know
To apply for a DigiD, you must:
- live abroad
- have Dutch nationality or the nationality of another EEA country (Dutch)
- have a valid passport or identity card of an EEA Country
- have a citizen service number (BSN)
- be registered in the Non-Residents Records Database (RNI)
- have a mobile phone on which you can receive text messages
- have an email address
If you receive an error message when you make the request at digid.nl, your details may be registered incorrectly in the RNI. You must first change your details in the RNI.
Take the following to the service desk
- the service desk code (after your request at digid.nl you will receive this by text message or email)
- a valid passport or identity card (you used this number in your application)
- all persons, including children, must be present in person
- your citizen service number (BSN)
- You can immediately activate your DigiD at Breda's city hall. Take your username and password with you.