What you need to know
An exemption allows you to (for example):
- load or unload where this is usually prohibited
- enter a street in your car or taxi that has been closed off with a bollard
- drive in the opposite direction to the flow of traffic
Loading and unloading times city centre pedestrian zone
You can load and unload within the city centre pedestrian zone without an exemption being required on:
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 07:00 to 11:00 hours, and from 17:00 to 19:00 hours
- Thursday from 07:00 to 11:00 hours and from 20:00 to 21:00 hours
- Saturday from 09:00 to 11:00 hours and from 17:00 to 18:00 hours
As from the 1st of January 2022, the loading and unloading times within the city centre pedestrian zone are: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 07:00 to 11:00 hours and from 17:00 to 19:00 hours, and Thursday from 07:00 to 11:00 hours.
Outside of these times, the city centre pedestrian zone is closed off with bollards. The Houtmarkt is monitored by surveillance cameras. All activities and removals must take place within the loading and unloading times. An exemption will only be issued for this zone in exceptional circumstances.
Types of exemptions
- a temporary exemption up to 24 hours
- a temporary exemption for 24 hours or more
- an annual exemption (exemptions always fall within 1 calendar year.)
If the request is approved, a temporary exemption will be issued as soon as possible. The municipality will deal with a request for an annual exemption within 8 weeks.
Change of vehicle registration plate
If you already hold an exemption, but your vehicle registration plate is changing, please contact the municipality.
The fees for a parking exemption are:
|Type of exemption||Amount|
Annual exemption and temporary exemption
Annual exemption inside the city centre pedestrian zone
Temporary exemption up to 24 hours inside the city centre pedestrian zone
Temporary exemption for 24 hours or more inside the city centre pedestrian zone
For some roads or areas you will need a key to open the bollards. The deposit for this key is € 100.