At the municipality where you are registered, you can apply for the exchange of your valid foreign driving licence. In order to do so you need to make an appointment. You pay when submitting your application. After approval of the Netherlands Vehicle Authority (Rijksdienst voor Wegverkeer - RDW) you will receive a message with which you can pick up your Dutch driving licence.
What you should know
- You can continue to use a foreign driving licence in the Netherlands for a certain period of time. More information can be found on the RDW website.
- Whether you can exchange your foreign driving licence for a Dutch one depends on your situation. Conditions differ per situation and per country. The conditions can be found on the RDW website.
What to take to your appointment
The RDW website tells you what to take to your appointment. In any case you must take to your appointment:
- Valid foreign driving licence
- Valid ID card / Valid proof of ID
- A passport photo that meets the requirements
- Pin card or credit card
The costs for exchanging a foreign driving licence are € 40.65.
Submitting an urgent request is not possible.